A good question posed by Suhaib Khan (@suhaibkhan) - which he made tougher by saying "pick your top 5". A short debate followed on twitter but I thought the content was useful enough to record in a blog post for community reference. I also strongly urge anyone to provide further input to this topic and I'll update this post.
Some rules (mine not Suhaib's):
- What are the minimum set of accounts you can follow and still expect to catch most of the HPC news, gossip, opinion pieces, analysis and key technical content?
- How to avoid too much marketing?
- How to access comment and debate beyond the news headlines?
- Which HPC people are not only active but also interactive on twitter?
- First, the overall winner - unambiguously in my view: @HPC_Guru - "if it has not been mentioned by @HPC_Guru, then it's not real #HPC news!"
- Second, according to taste, pick your favorite news outlet: @HPCwire @insideHPC @scwmagazine @SciCom @isgtw ... [list is not exhaustive or in any order - caveat - avoid offence ...]
- Third, keep up with the two main events of the HPC community: @Supercomputing and @ISChpc
- Fourth, following your own tastes, pick one or two comment/opinion tweeters: e.g. @addisonsnell @arthurrge @suhaibkhan @hpcnotes @KpDooty @paul_henning ... there are many people out there.
I also argued that vendor accounts (some of which are good to follow) would not make my top 5 (even top 10) because of Rule 1 (usually Rule 2 also).
I also noted that if you trust ranking sites such as wefollow or klout then 4 people stand out as the must-follow-accounts: @HPCwire @insideHPC @HPC_Guru and - I'm flattered to say - @hpcnotes.
@addisonsnell notes that his @intersect360 account picks up @addisonsnell + @ischpc + @supercomputing
@fcannini suggested some additional HPC accounts to look at: http://www.twitter.com/fcannini/status/391259807619227648 (I'll leave the reader to place these into the themes above)
The most obvious thing to follow for HPC on twitter - #HPC (although you'll have to put up with #HPC being used as a hashtag by some other communities too).